Life Insurance

Covered Agencies

The Employes' Retirement System is responsible for administering group life insurance for the employees of the City of Milwaukee, the Wisconsin Center District, and the Milwaukee Housing and Redevelopment Authorities.


All others need to contact their agencies to learn about their life insurance coverage:

  • Milwaukee Public Schools… 414-475-8699
  • Milwaukee Area Technical College… 414-297-6504
  • Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District… 414-225-2049
    • Veolia Retirees - Contact Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District
    • United Water Services Retirees - Contact Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District


Canceling Coverage

Retired members who want to cancel their coverage can do so at any time by submitting the following form...

Death Claims Processing

The death claim process, which includes completion of paperwork by the Employes' Retirement System and payment of benefits by the insurance provider, can take up to 30 days during normal processing periods.


The City of Milwaukee’s insurance provider, MetLife, pays death claims.


Met Life

Group Life Insurance Certificates

You may want to print your group life insurance certificate for your records...


Beneficiary Changes

To change your life insurance beneficiary, a Life Insurance Beneficiary Change Form, must be completed and returned to the Employes' Retirement System Group Life Insurance Area.


Life Insurance Plan Information

General City, Wisconsin Center District, HACM & RACM employees and retirees can find information here.


Additional Benefits

The City's insurance provider, MetLife, has these additional brochures on the benefits and services that it provides to its members.



If you have questions, contact the Employes' Retirement System at 414-286-3557 (or toll free at 1-800-815-8418).