2020 Health Insurance Benefits
*** Please do not call the ERS regarding health insurance if you are a MPS, MMSD, United Water, Veolia or MATC retiree. Contact your agency directly. ***
The Health Benefits Open Enrollment period started on Monday, October 28, 2019 and ends on Friday November 15, 2019. If you do not wish to change your health and prescription drug benefits plan, you do not need to do anything.
Please make note of the following:
- There will be 2020 plan design changes to both health plans offered by the City to its retirees (UHC Choice EPO and UHC Choice Plus PPO), so you should review the 2020 Retiree Benefits guide carefully.
- There will be a rate increase for retirees under the City’s health plans (approximately 3% for retirees under the age of 65 years, and approximately 6.7% for retirees 65 and over).
- Any benefit changes you make during the 2019 open enrollment period will take effect on January 1, 2020. You will continue to be covered under your current health plan through December 31, 2019.
- If you did not receive an Enrollment Packet or you are not currently enrolled in a City health insurance plan and wish to receive a packet or enrollment form, call the ERS Open Enrollment Hotline at (414) 286-3689.
- If you are choosing to drop your City of Milwaukee retiree coverage, both Medicare retirees and retirees without Medicare, you must notify the ERS in writing at least 30 days in advance. Please note that you must maintain health insurance coverage if you ever plan to return to the City of Milwaukee’s retiree coverage. At that time, you will be required to provide proof of creditable coverage during the period that you were not covered by the City’s plan.
- The ERS does not send automatic confirmations upon receipt of open enrollment forms. If you would like to receive confirmation of receipt, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for this purpose when submitting your form. We also recommend that you keep a copy of your open enrollment form for your records prior to mailing it to the ERS.
- Open Enrollment Fairs: The City scheduled five Open Enrollment Fairs that are open to all City employees and retirees. Three dates are in November. Please see below for more details.